Friday, October 23, 2009

Pulling a Grandpa

Nice ride, huh?
My Grandpa went to heaven before I was born so I didn't get to meet him, but Mommy tells me about him and a few days ago I got to experience first-hand one of the tricks he taught mommy.
I'm a little distracted by this leaf that just blew into the picture, but I'll try to concentrate to tell the story. Mommy was dropping me off at Mimi's house and it happened to be trash day and we drove by this cute little red car next to someone's trash can (i'll refrain from telling you what neighborhood it was in so Daddy's not embarrassed). When Mommy was little they had a big red station wagon and Grandpa would pull over all the time to pull a treasure out of someone's trash and haul it home in the back of the car. He wasn't too proud to find his kids fun stuff that someone else didn't want anymore. He would clean it up and fix it and they'd have all sorts of cool toys.

I have to have this leaf! Anyway, so Mommy dropped me off at Mimi's house and decided she would swallow her own pride and get me that little car. She's still a little bit proud, though, so she had to circle the block for about 10 minutes until no one was around. She popped it in the trunk and cleaned it up for me 2 days ago (I helped by chewing on the hose while she washed it) and we've been taking walks in it every day. I LOVE it! It has a stearing wheel that I can hold onto and a seat belt to keep me from leaping out when I see things like this leaf. She didn't tell Daddy it was in her trunk for a few days because Daddy's not really into the whole trash-diving bit, but even Daddy thinks it's the best little car a boy could want.



4 comments:

Michelle Smith said...

That's awesome! Why would anyone want to throw that away?!?! And, I love your little hat, Cole, and I'm so impressed that you don't pull it off as soon as it touches your head like Jude does. You'll have to teach him not to.

Dena said...

i love it!

Spaghetti Head said...

i love it! the car and the story. great writing christina, um... i mean Cole:)

Paula said...

I am all about trash-picking! Our Kitchen table was rescued from a dumpster if that tells you anything! It's compulsive in our family--my aunt rescues chairs all the time and brings them for my mom to recover. Our bed, even, was made from heart pine rescued from a dumpster in Belhaven. You go, girl!