Thursday, June 2, 2011

Potty Training - Attempt 1 - FAIL

Last weekend we tried to potty train Cole using the "indoor naked method." Blankets to spare the carpet, potty right there, thought it was going great until about lunch on Friday. We had 5 hits in the potty (because I basically kept him on it all morning) with much celebration each time, but after lunch we never got another drop in the potty for the next 24 hours. Saturday morning we tried the "outdoor almost-naked method" with equal results. He just didn't get it. By 11:00 am we were so exhausted and frustrated we decided he wasn't ready. I always thought that was a cop-out - people have been training their kids to go potty for thousands of years - how hard can it be? I have been silenced. It can be VERY hard. We'll try again after our big trip in August. Hands down the worst parenting experience thus far.

4 comments:

Bomgaars Family said...

Yeah, Kate was impossible. I finally gave up, and one day she just said, "I want to wear panties." I was a little scared, but I thought, "what the heck?" She did it, too. After me trying (on & off) for a year plus. Sophie, on the other hand, just trained herself. I was super pregnant with John & didn't even want to think about training her. She just started going. Amazing!

Erin Fielding said...

Someone told me once that they would rather give birth than try to potty train. (They have three kids, so I assume she knows what she is talking about). I'm not looking forward to it! hope it works eventually!!! and just think -- we all learn to use the potty sometime. haha.

Guitta said...

i figure the longer i wait (within reason) the easier it will be. i'm not rushing him until i see him show an interest. could be awhile. sorry it was so frustrating. parenting can be so humbling.

megumi said...

I do not believe most of the miracle potty training stories. They are the exceptions. (Although many a Peruvian mother will tell you that their child was potty trained by 14 months. ha!) It will be easier and less of a pain when they're ready. Diapering two is a pain, but potty training when they're not ready I think was worse.