Monday, March 12, 2012

The Little Drummer Boy

I know every child goes through phases of obsession with certain things, but this phase has lasted for a good 3 months now. THE DRUMMING CONTINUES!! Cole drums morning, noon, and night. He drums in the car with his hands, at home with Tinker Toys, outside with sticks, you name it, he drums on it or with it. Our neighborhood has 2 entrances, one that takes you past a field with cows, one that takes you past the lake and ducks. The lake/duck way has fewer stop signs so I often go that way if I'm in a hurry or by myself. But when I started doing that Cole made it a point to tell me that he would rather go by the cows every time. Apparently I went the lake way too many times because now he reminds me EVERY time we pass under the Natchez Trace (which is 100 feet from the decision point of which way we're going) by simply hollering, "COWS!" Sometimes it's soft, most of the time it's loud. One day we were driving home from church and he had been drumming on a basketball that he was holding the whole way home. This time the hand drumming was accompanied by noises with his mouth...some unintelligible instrument interpretation. This had gone on without pause the 10-minutes we'd been driving so I was sure he wasn't paying attention to where we were. But sure enough, without missing a beat he yells "COWS!" and seemlessly continues with the drumming and mouth accompaniment.
In this picture he's set up his little "drum set" by the corner of the wall and the tv. Why the location, you ask? "Mom, I'm in the corner like Mr. Raf." The drum set at church is in a corner, and this was the best corner he found to set up his own set. He has broken both cds I gave him to use as cymbals from too much drumming. I'm hoping to find him a little set on a garage sale. It's a full-fledged obsession.

No comments: