Monday, March 12, 2012

My boys - more funnies from the family

Daddy was gone one night and we needed an activity....a homemade trampoline! I left the room and came back to this, Cole telling Tyson all about the picture he was looking at. They fight a good half the time they're together, so this is great encouragement for my often-frustrated parenting spirit :).
Some funnies to brighten the day:
1. One day after Christmas Cole walked by the Christmas tree (which had shed a good 3/4 of its needles...not sure what I did wrong) and said, "Momm, we need to sweep." Me: "Why?" Cole: "Because there's all this....junk!" Me: "What is it?" Cole (after thinking a minute): "Christmas grass".

2. Cole asks EVERY DAY, EVERY TIME HIS CLOTHES ARE CHANGED, if he can wear sweatpants. He hates jeans, hates khakis, hates anything except sweat pants. He really is a child obsessed. If there aren't any clean ones in his drawer, he goes to the dryer and sorts through any clothes in there to see if just maybe there's some clean ones that haven't been put away yet. He was tickled pink when I showed him 1 pair of his shorts that are made out of sweatpants material and would rather wear them than anything else.

3. One day at lunch I came back into the kitchen to see Cole eating his raisins like a heathen. Instead of taking bites, he had a big handful and was chewing WHILE holding the raisins up to his mouth - there were too many to fit in his mouth so he just extended his mouth with his hand. "Cole, don't just hold the raisins next to your mouth!" I say. "But I'm eating all the juice," he says. Yuck, yuck, yuck. There should NOT BE JUICE!

4. Can't remember if I already said this, but Cole was 100% potty trained by Christmas, at 3 years and 2 months. He still wears pullups at night and nap, but otherwise he's a big boy!

5. One day I was again in the other room while Cole was eating his breakfast. I walk back in to find him sitting in his chair, tearing off bits of waffle and throwing them down to Tyson who is scurrying all over the floor to get each one, eating them like a little squirrel. Where do they get this stuff?

6. Cole's tender heart has continued from birth. One day a long time ago I forgot my purse in the house so I had to run back in after I put the boys in the van. Several weeks ago as we were pulling out of the driveway Cole asked, "Mom, do you have your purse?" "Yes, why?" "I was just making sure you didn't forget it," he says. He asks me regularly now if I have my purse and always follows it with, "I was just making sure you didn't forget it." The last several days I have been inundated with flowers that he picks me. The little white flowers that spring up everywhere get picked and picked and picked, always brought to me with much excitement. "Mommy, look what I picked for you!" I have to be careful because he asks me later in the day where my flowers are :).

7. One of the sweet ongoing things that Cole does is taking care of his stuffed animals. He used to have about 12 of them on his bed, and we eventually pared that down to 5 because taking care of 12 animals at bedtime just plain takes too long. He always wanted to set them up in a row, all facing correctly, along the wall of his bed. This had to be done one-by-one. He would take an animal, look to see which one it was, then say, "Bear, you sit right HERE" as he shoved it into place, "and Eeyore, you sit right HERE" as he gets shoved next to bear. Now we've moved past that but he still has to have the 5 animals covered with a blanket "or they will be cold!" His favorite animal is Piglet, so fitting. His personality is so much like Piglets :). Each night he would wrap Piglet up in his burp cloth, making sure it only came up to his neck, and if I laid too close to Piglet while I was singing him songs I would be reprimanded for "squishing him." And heaven forbid that I move the blanket in such a fashion that it go over Piglet's face, because "He can't breathe!"

8. Thomas started a little game with Cole where they would pretend that his stuffed Pooh Bear was eating honey in bed. Cole would cackle with delight while Thomas very seriously questioned Pooh whether or not he had been eating honey in bed at naptime. :)

9. Quoting from books is also a favorite activity of Cole's. He hopped in the back of the van one day and said, "I'm going to sit in the back while Ma drives!" - from Cars and Trucks and Things That Go. He does this in his bed while he's falling asleep. I listened one day to a page of quotes again from Cars & Trucks & Things that Go.

10. The memory of a 3-year-old is scary. We went to vote a few weeks ago but it was in a different building than in November. I didn't know that, so I drove through the parking lot of the old building. I had told Cole we were going to vote but he said he didn't know what that was so I assumed he didn't remember. But as we drove through the parking lot he said, "The last time we came to vote, I fell down in the parking lot." He was right, I could barely remember that he had taken a tumble in the parking lot on our way in. He hadn't even hurt himself, but he remembered.



No comments: