Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The advent of chores in the Dent household

One of Momma's big passions in parenting is raising independent, hard-working adults. So we have been introduced to chores. Not because we make it easier for Momma. Be assured it would be MUCH easier and MUCH faster if she did them herself, but she tries hard to give us jobs and make sure we do them so we learn early on that life takes work...she says our wives will thank us one day...she also says we're not coming back to live here when we're adults...i'll just take her word for it that sorting the clean silverware into the drawer will translate into me living on my own one day. So here I am helping with a chore that Tyson and I fight over - laundry helper. See that white step-ladder in front of the washer? It's basically the throne of the laundry room, and when Momma yells, "Time to do laundry!" Tyson and I go flying to the laundry room to see who can claim the throne first. We help Momma put the dirty laundry into the machine, then here I am getting it from the washer to put in the dryer. But I'm just a little guy, and I was in here so long that momma peeked around the corner to see what I was doing only to find me head to toe INSIDE the washer getting the socks at the bottom that I couldn't reach any other way.


Our other chores at this point (Tyson at 2 and Cole at almost 4) are: Cole empties Tyson's trash can every couple days, when the dishwasher is clean Tyson unloads all the silverware into the drawer and Cole sorts it into all the right compartments, then they both help unload the tupperware and plastic plates and cups. Cole takes his laundry to the hamper every day or two, and they both like to sweep....maybe that one should be in quotes like "sweep" :). 


No comments: